Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

The Sistersville Ferry

The Sistersville Ferry is the longest continuously working mode of transportation in Monroe County, OH, operating since 1815. It crosses the Ohio River between Fly, Ohio, and Sistersville, West Virginia, which is the apex of the longest straight stretch on the Ohio River. This section of the river is called the "Long Reach," which runs about twenty miles in length.

Sisterville FerryAt the "Long Reach," one can see Beavertown seven and a half miles to the south, and in the other direction Sardis can be spotted five miles north. The Sistersville Ferry is located near the site George Washington encamped during a survey trip to the west on October 25, 1770.

There are only four ferries left along the 981-mile long mighty Ohio River, with the Sisterville Ferry being the only one along the 277 mile stretch of Ohio River that shares its border with West Virginia.

source: http://www.pbase.com/gshamilton/image/50806746

7 comments:

I'm a pilot for the ferry. The Sistersville Ferry was started in 1814. The ferry has only offically been closed twice, the Civil War and in 1987-1989. Your story tends to make readers believe that Ohio ownes the ferry, but it belongs to Sistersville,WV. I did enjoy reading it. Thanks for sharing.

10:22 PM  

Thanks for the correction! And if you've got any interesting historical photos of the ferry that you'd like to share with the readers, I'd be happy to post them.

8:58 AM  

Capt. Mars - I understand this ferry was run by two brothers named Tuel back in the late 1800's and the area was also known as "Tuel's Landing" Can you shed any light on this - is it true?

Mike Tuel
mike@tuel.com

12:58 AM  

Can anyone tell me where I can find info regarding the ferry schedule?

3:34 PM  

Hi,

i have travelled through Norfolkline ferries was very delightful. Check this like if you like: http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/

9:17 AM  

here is the schedule of a ferry company http://www.aferry.co.uk/timetable/BelfastLiverpoolNorfolklineuk.htm
ashley

6:54 AM  

Need some precise information about ferry crossings and how to book ferries. Any personal experiences? I'm planning to make my trip in next couple of days.

7:53 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home